AM Best Grade: A- (Excellent) 4.5 stars

Company Info: 

Address: 100 Salem Street, Smithville, RI 02917

Phone: 800-642-6904


Also known as: Fidelity Investments Life Insurance Co. & Empire Fidelity Investments Life Insurance Co. (NY)

Fidelity Management and Research was founded in 1946 by Edward C. Johnson II.  Abigail Johnson is the CEO of the privately held company and her father Edward C. Johnson III is the chairman.  Fidelity is presumed under the Investment Act of 1940 in which the founding Johnson family controls the company.   The founding family still owns about 49% of the company individually as well as through various trusts, the remaining 51% of the voting interests are mainly held though various Fidelity employees.

As of February 2013 the privately held company employs over 41,000 people. Fidelity Investments is headquartered in Boston, but has 10 regional offices as well as 180 investment centers across the United States.  They also have a global presence in North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia.  They currently have a customer base of 24 million as well as $5.2 trillion dollars in customer assets. According to SimilarWeb, in 2015 Fidelity’s website has had over 21 million visitors per month and is ranked #5 among all Finance and Investment sites.

By Justin Nelson, August, 2015